GarbhoUpanishad
This
is a slightly different Upanishad which deals with the conception and growth of
a child. The sages might have thought about the importance of the entry of the
soul while discussing this issue. It deals with all the stages of development
of the jeeva atma. These ideas may lack full scientific verasity but at the
same time we cannot under estimate its deep insights.
The
first stanza starts with the sloka
“ Ohm panchatmakam
panchasuvarthamaanam
Shadaasrayam shad guna yoga yuktham….”
[Our
body is called panchatmakam as it is framed of the five elements such as earth,
water, fire, air and sky. The following lines of the first sloka gives a
detailed description of the correlation of these elements and the body parts.
The land portion is representative of the earth; the liquid portion contains
water. The hot part is of fire and the airy part comes out of air while the
space is representation of the sky. Then comes the description about the
functions of each of the body part.]
Our
body is said to have six shelters also which can be the six forms taste. This
is followed by the discussion of sounds and colours. Ten basic sounds and seven
colours are discussed. The latter part of this Upanishad deals with the
conception of the embryo and its stages of development. It is after one night
after the union of male and female chromosomes that the embryo is formed which
is still in a fluid state. After seven nights it becomes a bubble of water.
After two weeks it becomes a solid form. The head is formed in two months and
legs and feets are formed towards the end of the third month. Stomach and
allied organs are formed by the fourth month. In the fifth month the spines and
other bones get their shape. Mouth, eyes, ears and nose all originate during
the 6th month.
This
Upanishad teaches us that life or aatman gains an entry into the body in the 7th
month and it is endowed with all other parts during the 8th month.
If the male part is stronger the child becomes a boy and if the female entity
is stronger the child turns out to be a girl. If the potency of both finds to
be equal the child can neither be a male or a female. It is also suggested that
the child is met with deformity because of mental turbulence during pregnancy.
In the 9th month the child becomes complete in itself and it gains a
divination about its previous births.
The next section gives us a beautiful description
about the thoughts of the child while in the womb of its mother. This makes it
very clear that the child is capable of remembering all its previous birth and
a series of his thoughts are recorded there. The child visualizes his past as
follows:
I
understand all my previous births and how I was born in different wombs, how I
ate different food and how many times I was born and I died. I am very lonely
now thinking about all the auspicious events in my life. I don’t know where all
my family members are now? Now I am fallen in the sea of sorrows. If I come out
of this womb. I will take refuge in Maheswara for my deliverance when I am
freed from this womb. I will follow Sri Narayana or I will attain the Siddhi of
sankhya yoga and I will spend all my years only contemplating on Brahma.
The
child comes out to the world with great difficulty but it falls into the web of
maya immediately after it touches this world. It forgets all its previous
births and deaths. It forgets even about its condition in its mother’s womb.
All the previous auspicious and inauspecious elements are also together.
The
last part asks this question: “why do we call this lump as body?” It is because
the three fires as njanagni, darshanaagni, and jaraagni abide in this body.
Jaraagni helps digesting the food where as darshanaagni makes images visible.
Njanaagni shows all the auspicious and inauspicious matters. There are specific
abodes for these in a human body.
The
soul is the master and budhi is its companion whereas mind is Brahma. This part
speaks about the 107 marmas (Point of subtle significance or secret spots), 180
nerves, 700 subtle nerves, 500 muscles, 360 bones, 4.5 crore hairs etc in the
human body.
This
detailed description of the body is given so as to understand its significance
as the career of the human soul. This
should lead one ultimately to the paths to moksha or salvation. It is believed
that this scripture of liberation is prescribed by none other than pippalada
muni.
Dr. Karickam
No comments:
Post a Comment